Saturday, September 1, 2018

THE ASSOCIATION OF SMALL BOMBS by KARAN MAHAJAN (2016)

Yet another depressing novel set in India, this one is unique in that it humanizes both the victims of violence and its perpetrator. Beginning with the detonation of a small car bomb, the author tells the stories of the Kashmiri man who built and planted the bomb, of the family of two brothers who were among the victims, and of a boy who narrowly escaped the blast which killed his two friends. The repercussions of this rather insignificant event (in comparison with acts of greater violence with more victims) extend forward for years. Mahajan seems to be indicating that the turmoil in India is daily escalated by even small events and that it is perhaps unsolvable.

To tell the truth, I read this just before I moved in mid-May, and when I set out to write this review, I had forgotten much of the plot and had to look back in the book to refresh my memory. I don't think my senior-memory is entirely responsible. I think this is just a very forgettable novel. This was a finalist for the 2016 National Book Award, so it impressed many people.

No comments:

Post a Comment