Wednesday, March 29, 2017

PALADIN OF SOULS by LOIS McMASTER BUJOLD (2003)

When I decided to binge-read science fiction, I consulted the websites of the Hugo and the Nebula, the two premier awards given for that genre, and ordered books which had won one or both of the awards. What I didn't consider is that both designate the best of each year's science fiction or fantasy novels. Paladin of Souls won both the Hugo and the Nebula, but it is definitely not science fiction; it is instead a fantasy of the swords and sorcery variety, with some G-rated courtly romance thrown in.

I have not read too much in this sub-category of fantasy, but I think it likely that this is better than most. For one thing, the central character is a 40-year-old widow, which is unexpected and refreshing. Also, the book is more than competently written in an engaging style. Still, it mostly adheres to the conventions of the genre and contains few surprises.

When the heroine, Ista, is at long last freed from the restraints of her castle at the death of her mother, she departs on what is purportedly a religious pilgrimage. In reality, she has rejected the gods -- all five of them -- and only wants to experience freedom and the world once again. She meets with more than she bargained for, however, including an invading army; demons lurking inside men, women, and animals; an animated corpse; and one of the gods, who bestows upon her the power to cast out demons. And, oh yes, she encounters a well-built and handsome fighting man with a winning smile and long black hair streaked with gray, who has been placed under an enchantment.

Bujold is an extremely popular author who has won more Hugo Awards for Best Novel than any other writer with the exception of Robert Heinlein. I perhaps judge her too harshly. I do tend to compare all fantasy novels to The Lord of the Rings, so they all come up short. I judge this a cotton candy kind of book; I enjoyed myself while reading it, but it left no lingering nourishment and I felt a bit guilty afterwards.

No comments:

Post a Comment