Friday, September 23, 2016

The Double by Fyodor Dostoyevsky (1864)

Although I have never enjoyed reading Dostoyevsky, I decided to read this short novel because I recently read a novel with the same name by Jose Saramago (reviewed in April, 2016), and I wanted to compare the two.

The "hero," as Dostoyevsky calls him, is the very confused and paranoid Mr. Golyadkin. When he is tossed out of a party that he has crashed at his boss's house, his mental condition worsens dramatically. That's when he meets his exact double. From that time on he is tormented because he perceives that the double is trying to turn everyone against him.

This is a psychological look at a man going mad. It is extremely unsettling and depressing. It made me very anxious. While I recognize that my reaction is surely a tribute to Dostoyevsky's writing talent, I am sorry I read the book. I may feel crazy for days.

No comments:

Post a Comment