Monday, March 28, 2016

Bossypants by Tina Fey (2011)

My 14-year-old granddaughter Rori wants to be Tina Fey when she grows up, and I believe she has chosen an admirable role model. Tina Fey is smart, funny, a talented actress, ambitious, hard working, and seemingly an all-around nice person. Come to think of it, all that also describes Rori as she is right now, so I think she is on the right path.

Rori wanted me to read this book. It is autobiographical, hitting the high points of Tina Fey's career as a performer. It is charmingly self deprecating and, of course, funny. Her humor is subtle, not depending on snappy one-liners and certainly not bitchy in the style of so many. This is a soft chuckle kind of book rather than a laugh uncontrollably out loud one.

I'm not usually a reader of memoirs, but this is a pleasant look at an admirable woman who has found success in a profession dominated by men.

No comments:

Post a Comment