Saturday, October 10, 2015

The Cuckoo's Calling by Robert Galbraith (AKA J.K. Rowling)

I'm not particularly qualified to write a review of a detective novel such as this because I seldom read in that genre, but from my limited knowledge, I believe this one to be very good. The detective is believable and likable, as is his secretary/sidekick. The clues to the solution to the mystery, along with several red herrings, are provided so that the reader can try to figure it all out, although I would say that some of the motivations and actions of the characters seem slightly far fetched to me. The writing is way above average for this genre, as far as my reading experience goes.

The plot concerns the death of a supermodel which has been ruled by the police as a suicide. Her adopted brother hires Cormoran Strike, the detective, to investigate what might instead be a murder.

I believe this to be more similar to Agatha Christie-style mysteries than to more more stylish offerings. I was somewhat disappointed that Rowling chose to continue to follow the hackneyed modern trend of making her detective wildly attractive to unbelievably beautiful women.

I will probably read Rowling's second book in this series, if only to see how she progresses her central characters. She did such a good job of that in the Harry Potter series.

No comments:

Post a Comment