Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Year Three of Reading

Once again I look back on the books I read in a year of my life. (I have been posting this on my birthday for the last three years.) It's maybe a little bit sad that reading a lot of books is my main accomplishment in a year of life, but so it goes. I read 107 books, but I don't believe I read as many really good ones this year as I read last year. Still, many were excellent; here are the top 13. Keep in mind that these are not necessarily the best in terms of lasting literary value or in the eyes of knowledgeable critics, but the ones which were most enjoyable to me. When I made the list I spotted a trend--see if you notice it.

*Captain Corelli's Mandolin by Louis de Bernieres An Italian soldier is part of the occupying forces on a Greek island during World War II. A little bit of everything--war, love, sacrifice, humor, tragedy, lovable characters. A celebration of resilience. (Mar, 2013)

*Tell the Wolves I'm Home by Carol Rifka Brunt A young teenager deals with insecurity, the death of loved ones, and family estrangement, learning life lessons along the way. Very emotionally involving. It speaks to the healing power of love, love of all kinds. (Feb, 2013)

*The Restraint of Beasts by Magnus Mills A very dark comedy about three blokes who build fences and cause some fatal accidents along the way. A fable of sorts. Highly surprising and original. (May, 2012)

*The Memory of Old Jack by Wendell Berry One day in the life of an old farmer, as he remembers his past and the people who were important to him. A portrait of rural America and its values. My background prepared me to like this no matter what, but it was very well done. (Feb, 2013)

*Billy Lynn's Long Halftime Walk by Ben Fountain A somewhat satiric look at America, as an Iraqi War hero and his comrades are featured at a Dallas Cowboys' halftime show. National Book Critics Circle award winner, and I really thought it would win the Pulitzer. The best contemporary novel I read this year. (Jan, 2013)

*Telegraph Avenue by Michael Chabon A story of two families in a changing California, with some colorful and over-the-top supporting characters. Mainly, I just like Chabon and his writing style. He is joyful and exuberant in the extreme. He also shows off on occasion. (Dec, 2012)

*Life & Times of Michael K by J.M. Coetzee An allegorical tale of simple people displaced by war and conflict. Actually rather depressing, but it is so well done that I overlooked that. (Oct, 2012)

*Bleak House by Charles Dickens Master storyteller Dickens at his best as he wages war on England's Chancery Court system with the story of Jarndyce versus Jarndyce, a court case lasting for years, destroying lives along the way. Includes all the usual Dickens attributes, such as colorful characters, some who are humorous and some who are villainous and some who are too good to be true. (Oct, 2012)

*Swamplandia by Karen Russell A highly imaginative, satiric, and surreal story of a theme park in Florida. A young girl, deserted by her whole family, goes in search of her sister who has eloped with a ghost. Really, that's the plot. (Jun, 2012)

*Cloudstreet by Tim Winton The history of two families, living in a large dilapidated house in Australia, with love, violence, adultery, guilt, tragedy, and some ghosts. Totally engrossing. (Jun, 2012)

*Kafka on the Shore by Haruki Murakami Twin stories of a young man who has been prophesied to be the killer of his father and an old man who can neither read nor write due to a mysterious occurrence. This is how they come together. Dreamlike and subject to multiple interpretations. (Jun, 2012)

*Wise Children by Angela Carter A charming story as told by an aging song-and-dance girl about her colorful theatrical family. Playfully includes multiple Shakespearean plot devices and references and some magical realism. (Mar, 2013)

*Villette by Charlotte Bronte A psychological study of how a young woman faces the world after suffering great tragedy. Semi-autobiographical. Most perceptive.
(Apr, 2013)

Out of all the books I read I can find only three that I totally disliked:
*Roses by Leila Meacham A drugstore romance novel disguised as literature. (Jun, 2012)
*The Red Tent by Anita Diament A poorly written new age women's empowerment novel disguised as a retelling of an Old Testament story. (Jun, 2012)
*Play It As It Lays by Joan Didion Similar to Villette in that it examines the actions of a woman who has faced tragedy. Except that instead of trying to cope this heroine falls apart. A really depressing story of aimless lives. (Apr, 2013)

In reading over my last year's of favorite books, I saw that I left one out which should certainly have been there:
*War With the Newts by Karel Capek A very funny fanciful satire of greed and nationalistic jingoism. Written in the 1930s but still pertinent today. (Apr, 2012)

Notice that I have very helpfully included the month each book was read, in case any are interested in reading a complete review. (As if...!) Happy reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment