Wednesday, February 6, 2013

The Count of Monte Cristo by Alexandre Dumas

Second reading; first read when I was a teenager


Often when I re-read books which I first read in my youth (particularly the "classics"), I find that I missed a great deal back then. Some books just take more maturity and reading experience for full appreciation. For example, when I re-read Huckleberry Finn for the first time, I discovered that I had missed the point the first time through. Each time I re-read it (I taught the novel, so I read it many times.), I found more to appreciate.

Sometimes when I re-read a book, I find that something I loved as a younger person just does not hold up as well to an older person's scrutiny. This novel is one of those.

As most everyone knows, The Count of Monte Cristo is the "classic" story of Edmond Dantes and the revenge he takes against those responsible for his years of wrongful imprisonment. After escaping from prison and discovering a secret treasure, he assumes a myriad of disguises as he skillfully manipulates his foes into bringing about their own downfalls.

I remember really loving this book "back in the day." I think its premise fulfills a typical fantasy we probably all have as teenagers--that of becoming rich and/or famous and getting back at everyone who has ever been mean to us or ignored us. And if we have to do some things that might be considered a little bit morally suspect, well, they deserved it. (This was the first excuse my little grandson always gave when he used to slug his sisters, before being persuaded that he just couldn't go around hitting people, even if he did think they had it coming.)

Throughout this tale, Dantes feels that he is acting as the agent of God in punishing wrongdoers and rewarding faithful friends. Only toward the end does he consider that he might have been mistaken or excessive in exacting his revenge, but he seemingly resolves his moral questioning and sails away, presumably to live happily ever after.

The plot here is the focus, of course, and it is intricate and interesting, however unbelievable it may be. A Romeo and Juliet-type fake death scenario is inserted which seems entirely superfluous except for melodramatic purposes.

As an adult, then, I would say that I can see why I loved this novel as a teenager, but I cannot recommend it now. It is morally ambiguous, offers almost nothing on a level other than plot, and is not particularly well written. (However, this is a translation from the French, and the fault there may be in the translator.)

No comments:

Post a Comment