Monday, January 28, 2013

Les Miserables by Victor Hugo

Third reading: first read when I was 15

I well remember the summer after my 9th grade year, when I first read The Hunchback of Notre Dame. I thought it was the best book I had ever read, and I immediately re-read it. I planned to name my first daughter Esmeralda. (I'm sure my first daughter, who was born almost 20 years later, is glad I changed my mind.)

Immediately after those two readings, I walked to my town's library and checked out Les Miserables. I loved it, too, but not quite as much. Cosette and her romance did not catch my imagination as much as Esmeralda's had. And let's face it, at 15 a girl is pretty much caught up in yearning for romantic love, so that was my main focus. Still, I was also touched by the self-sacrifice of Quasimodo and Jean Valjean. And the stories were so involving and suspenseful. I'm sure I pretty much ignored any of the commentary about the society of the time and the moral and philosophical implications in the novels.

When I re-read Les Miserables in my mid-20's, I was able to appreciate it from an entirely different viewpoint, and then it was even more enjoyable. While I could still become immersed in the story, I could also find interest in learning more about the France of that time and in thinking about the themes and ideas proposed and how they could be applicable to current events. I could even appreciate the book from a strictly "head" level by observing how Hugo skillfully wove all his strands together.

Now about this reading: I ordered the book from an internet used book company, which failed to reveal that it was an abridgement. So I would estimate that this time I read roughly about one-third of the original. And I have never read such a hack-job. Not only was all content not directly telling the story removed (and that is actually quite a lot), but also removed was much of the actual plot development. For example, almost all Fantine's story was left out and most of the material about Javert. If I had not read this novel before, it would have made little sense. The moral of this is, DO NOT BUY AN ABRIDGED EDITION. Even if you choose to skim-read some parts, be sure you have the full text. I would even go on record in saying that abridging the work of even an author long dead should be prohibited.

I am not including a plot summation here, because I assume most know the basics.

I was prompted to read this, of course, by the release of the movie. I often do this and, almost always, end up by not seeing the movie after all. So I cannot absolutely say that the novel is superior to the movie, but I can almost guarantee it, if past experience is any clue. So I would say, if you loved the movie, read the book. And be sure you get a copy which is not abridged.

The main reason everyone should read this is stated by Victor Hugo in his "Author's Preface": "...so long as ignorance and misery remain on earth, books like this cannot be useless."

1 comment:

  1. I bought a copy too! I agree that the book is way better than the movie. Of course, mine had little pop up Hugh Jackmans and Anne Hathaways that sang the Broadway hits, so that helps. Seriously, you should see the movie just for the performances. All the singing was done live with no voice overs, so I found it really interesting just from a technical standpoint.

    ReplyDelete