Sunday, June 10, 2012

Down and Out in the Magic Kingdom by Cory Doctorow

Geez. This book made me feel so non-hip and old and out-of-touch. Maybe it is clever and inventive, and maybe not. I don't know. First, it contains all kinds of cyber language, and I barely know how to blog and e-mail. Second, it takes place in Disney World and I imagine a good bit of enjoyment can be had by a reader recalling memories of the attractions mentioned. I have never been to Disney World, Disneyland, etc., etc. I just did not connect to this novel at all.

The plot goes a little something like this: It's the future and nobody dies unless they want to. In case of illness or accidental death, a clone is kept on standby, along with a back-up of the person's memory. People don't need to carry around smart phones or i-pads because they have computers and the internet implanted in their heads, so they just have to think about the information they need. Money is obsolete; people try to earn Whuffie--points from public approval, kind of similar to "likes" on a status on Facebook or the number of Tweet responses. (I think, although I don't really understand Tweeting.)

Our hero is a member of one of the numerous "ad-hocs" who are keeping the amusement parks running as an homage to the twentieth century. He and his group are dedicated to maintaining the attractions in the old style, with only a few high tech additions. Another ad-hoc group is taking over attractions using more sophisticated brain-to-brain interfaces. Duplicity and intrigue ensue.

I did not understand enough of this novel to really form an opinion, except along traditional lines. There was little character development, little suspense development, little thematic content, as far as I could discern. Maybe my son would like it, because he knows all about techno-stuff and loves The Magic Kingdom.

Sometimes young people are asked by their teachers to read books which are too mature for their understanding. I have been guilty of doing that. This is a case of a book which I am too mature (read "old") to really understand.

No comments:

Post a Comment